1. Welcome to AirportCityGame

AirportCityGame is the Number One forum when it comes to the hit Android, iOS, Windows and Amazon game Airport City!

Chat to other players, swap items in the Daily Trade Forum and help each other complete Space Missions!

My Fountain Pen And I - A Life Well Lived

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Captain WH Rollins, 25 March 2018.

1. Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins 150+ Star Club Active Member

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    My Fountain Pen And I - A Life Well Lived
    This morning I fitted a brand new ink cartridge into my fountain pen, a very simple process, nothing more was required of me.

No operating system software upgrades needed, no bugs, no patches to install, no new drivers needed, no need to contact technical support and then wait to hear from them, no McAfee updates required, no broadband issues to deal with......

......just old school.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

Last edited: 25 March 2018
    user bb, Dafsade, Bigglesbaz and 3 others like this.
  2. Teboho

Teboho 150+ Star Club Active Member

Top Monthly Post Winner

Android, Windows PC
    04fb0i9z
    Tair *item I require*
    Sometimes, I wish that our web connections were this simple.

3. Teboho

Top Monthly Post Winner

Android, Windows PC
    04fb0i9z
    Tair *item I require*
    Sometimes, I wish that our web connections were this simple.

4. Teboho

Top Monthly Post Winner

Android, Windows PC
    04fb0i9z
    Tair *item I require*
    Even the forum is acting up...

user bb likes this.
  5. My Lamy Safaris always work, whereas I spent hours last week trying to fix (to no avail) a Windows 10 "Automatic Update" that threw up an error. Apparently "automatic" was anything but.

Teboho likes this.
  6. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    I'm very found of German made Lamy writing instruments, I have a few in my collection, which I like to choose from, depending on the work at hand. Sorry to read about your Windows 10 problem.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

Jan0987 likes this.
  7. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    Following my pub lunch I spent a very pleasant afternoon sitting and writing a letter and a birthday card to two old friends. Sitting across the pub, sat a young woman, busy with her laptop. At one point, she looked up and smiled at me, while typing. I held up my fountain pen and smiled back. It was nice to share a moment.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

Jan0987 likes this.
  8. I often use a fountain pen and have even managed to get the younger generation in the house using them. OK, they use the modern disposable versions. The Zebra fuente on Amazon is pretty good.

Jan0987 likes this.
  9. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    I'm assuming these modern pens are inexpensive, since they are disposable. Perhaps some day a fountain pen and ink cartridges, as a present, maybe a better idea. No matter how inexpensive they maybe, it is bound to add up to a tidy sum of money in the long run. Just a suggestion.....

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

10. Several years ago, I was in a drugstore and came across a notebook made of stone paper. Out of curiosity, I bought it, and found that some pens were better than others when it came to writing on the specialized surface, and I ordered a bunch of different pens from jetpens.com to find better pens. While shopping at the site, they had a cheap disposable fountain pen, which I bought because it was only $3 and looked interesting. It was a Pilot Petit1 and it was my gateway pen, and then I was getting a bunch of Noodler's pens, Lamy's, Pilots, and TWSBI, etc. and ink samples from gouletpens.com. I have more bottled ink than I will ever use.

My only problem is that I will go for long stretches (months) without using the pens, so the ink dries out. I've been looking for one that doesn't dry out with prolonged lack of use, but they are usually the ones with the larger capacities (Noodler's Ahab, TWSBI) and I prefer something the size, weight, and capacity of a Lamy Safari.

So far, I have remained at the low end of the hobby and have avoided buying any more pens, since I don't really need more than a couple dozen fountain pens. :LOL: (But I have been looking at the Pilot Vanishing Point...)

11. @Captain WH Rollins you are correct, all the kids have been brought 'proper' fountain pens, these tend to stay at home. It is the disposable ones that make it to school and work places. If they get broken or 'borrowed' it doesn't matter.
    I have a collection of pens that dates back to around 1930ish. Most need a good service as they probably haven't been used for 50 years.

12. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    Yes, I understand. Disposable fountain pens for school is the way forward and I would do the same. Why take the risk of a broken, borrowed or lost pen.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

13. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    My fountain pen and I spent a very pleasant late morning together, writing a letter to an old friend. If it fails to reach his home address, the Depot Post Office Manager will get a very nasty letter from me, if it ever reaches him.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

14. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    A very enjoyable afternoon spent writing a letter to an old school friend, having had a relacked pub lunch - a plowmans (bread and butter, cheese, small onions, pickle, ham and boiled egg) with a chilled bottle of cider.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

15. Captain WH Rollins

Windows PC
    Captain WH Rollins
    I was very tempted this weekend gone, to purchase a vintage fountain pen and add it to my collection, but in the end I managed to resist the temptation, until another time. It caught my eye, in an antique shop window, there were a few vintage pens to choose from, which made the decision making process complicated.

Regards
    Captain WH Rollins

16. Agent_L

Agent_L 350+ Star Club VIP Flyer Active Member

Windows Mobile
    Agent L
    Well, cartridge instead of ink sac is as new-fashioned as fountain pens get : )