Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Hijackers and Protocol

skiv

500+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPad
  2. iPhone
  3. Windows PC
Friend Code
20jt8mdr
Username
skiv/most-desired-gift
What is the protocol for the following situations:

1) I started a Green Launch and noticed that one of my non-forum neighbours already had a launch going. With only 6 hours left there was only 232 points contributed. Is this person hoping for someone to join and finish the launch thereby taking first place?

2) Today I did another Green Launch and at the last minute one of my non-forum neighbours joined in and launched. They got third place for only 12 points. This is the second time they have done this.

3) How do you define a hijacker? I am assuming it is someone that steals first place? Or is it someone like situation #2. I would call that person a Freeloader.

gabii526

500+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPad
Friend Code
gabii526
Username
gabii526
I agree that accidentally overtaking another is embarrassing. I did it once, due to miscalculation, but I've never overtaken 1st position. I was just trying to help get a launch started when someone was using a precious QL. My apologies to the person I overtook 2nd or 3rd from.

Never overtake 1st unless the clock is about to expire or if invited to take 1st.
Don't worry, we all already have made this mistake of miscalculation or using the wrong button. This happens, but some players are hijacking in every launch in the last moment, and only ths is embarrassing.

Jgm85

1500+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
af40w2p (old) 04HBT2AFX (current)
Username
jgm85
Many people abide by whoever puts 576 points first is the captain, other just support. With multiple QL, people abiding by this rule it helps all get 1st position over the course of a few launches, and in little time. Mistakes do happen, so try not to be mad if you are overtaken by mistake, if it happens often then time to delete that person ;-)

And there are also us helpers who help you fuel launches. Who just sit a couple of points behind the captain or co pilot. But won't pass. If you get a helper onboard normally straight off the bat they will put no more than 574 points in leaving the captain seat available. We also carry QLs on our backs too. Just to speeds things up a bit. As we're all extremely spoiled and don't like 24 hour flights and 14 minute flights. Even 1 minute flights if we're partying.

Natholian1

800+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Username
Natholian1
So I had an interesting dilemma last night. I had just started a launch and was 5 minutes in. I had only put on 56 points and my other half was joining me and had done the same. We were about to start putting in more and two people joined. One went straight to 576 and the other to c 280. So I started putting in points to get to 1500. In about 5 minutes I was at 700 points when the 280 guy started throwing in PEBs and reached over 800. The other participant stayed at 576 being rather respectful I thought.

Personally I think the guy who started throwing in PEBs was hijacking - he could see I was adding to take first place on my launch and decided to push in front. For the first time ever I threw someone out of a launch. But I feel rather bad about it and quite conflicted.

All was launched within 15 minutes from start - crazy.

Kesh

700+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bcgunw
Username
Kesh
So I had an interesting dilemma last night. I had just started a launch and was 5 minutes in. I had only put on 56 points and my other half was joining me and had done the same. We were about to start putting in more and two people joined. One went straight to 576 and the other to c 280. So I started putting in points to get to 1500. In about 5 minutes I was at 700 points when the 280 guy started throwing in PEBs and reached over 800. The other participant stayed at 576 being rather respectful I thought.

Personally I think the guy who started throwing in PEBs was hijacking - he could see I was adding to take first place on my launch and decided to push in front. For the first time ever I threw someone out of a launch. But I feel rather bad about it and quite conflicted.

All was launched within 15 minutes from start - crazy.
You have to take in consideration that there are players who do fast launches (fast means launch within minute or two) - with 4+ QLs gives you instant return and new fast round. regarding your calculation throwing pebs means adding one by one every 30 seconds (your joiner added 1 set of PEB, MS and LFT - 520 points to previous 280).
I'm not defending anyone but in general if you start the launch add 576 - this shows your intention for 1st place (this is also individual) - by adding 56 initially you basically showed that you don't need/want 1st (for people who have trouble with reading other people minds ;) it's hard to know that you are aiming for 1st). I would think the same if joined your launch. Also keep in mind that if you started to add points players in your launch don't see it immediately on their screen.
Yes there are players who don't respect anything, there are players who did mistake sometimes in fast launches - do miscalculation but majority would respect 576 and that's good.

Natholian1

800+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Username
Natholian1
Yes - different ways of looking at it. I personally would never hijack someone's launch 10 minutes in. If someone hadn't added very much after an hour or two then yes I think it's showing an intent but that's not the case here. but as you say one can't mind read either way

Jgm85

1500+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
af40w2p (old) 04HBT2AFX (current)
Username
jgm85
A lot of players respect whoever puts 576 first is going for 1st - regardless of who has opened. In your scenario, the fact that you overtook someone who had put 576 1st the other player (at 280) might of assumed that it was a free-for-all type launch with no rules.

Launching is a fickle business and there will always be people who abide by unwritten 576 rule and there will always be people who want 1st at all cost.

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Morning Flyers (07.50am GMT London)

When I open a standard 24 hour red launch I'm after first place (coins, experience, reward chest's, maps, fuel, tokens etc). I make sure I secure first place by the amount of resource points I invest and by the statement in my launch thread. I know I can not expect to secure first place on the cheap, I need to invest a sizeable amount of resources each time.

Once I reach 1,800(ish) resource points I then create and post the following launch thread - I've just opened up this red launch flight (insert the date and time) and have invested 0,000 of 3,000 resources so far - 2nd, 3rd and 4th places are up for grabs, for those wishing to join in this flight. I always make sure I have plenty of resources to hand just in case.

When I join a red launch, a standard 24 hour flight or multiple QL flights, first place belongs to the flyer who opens the launch, unless the flyer states clearly 'all places are open' or 'all places are up for grabs'. If it's not clear I always ask, by sending a PM, just to make sure. I do not want any unpleasantness or bad feelings between flyers. I'm more than happy to take a lower placed position - 2nd or 3rd with these types of flights. In the long run it adds up to a healthy return if I judge the invest just right and my timing is just right.

If it is a QL launch party, with multiple quick flights, then the 576 rule comes into play and this is understood by those taking part. I'm more than happy to take a lower placed position - 2nd or 3rd place with these types of flights. In the long run it adds up to a healthy return.

The one thing I would never do is hi-jack another members flight. For me it is not the done thing, it is just not cricket. To do so, would create a long term headache, which would not be worth it in the long run.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

H

Heisenberg

Generally I don't mind places or hijackers. The main goal is a swift return. I'll mostly facilitate with a Quantum Leap bonus.

If I do concern myself about places (for e.g. maps, tokens, etc.) I'll open from a support account with limited/selected neighbours to ensure a closed circuit launch or series of launches.

That being said: when you see Heisenberg on the pad, feel free to join and add for the places you want, preferably with the 576 points rule.

Didn't see this thread until today as I came to look for our rules of launching due to being hijacked (or attempted hijacked) a couple of times during this week. I haven't done launches recently and I don't do Red launches anymore as I already have the 6 buildings and 3 stared. I started doing some Blue and Green launches this week since I don't have 6 buildings nor 3 star them. Also I wanted to use my thousands of small fuels and try to open some thousands of Launch Ready boxes.

I started a Blue launch and try to go slow to use my small fuels and I purposely not to advertise, just with my two games in the launch. I was surprised to see how quick a new forum member came to my launch within an hour or two of start and put in more than 1.5K of points and launched right away, and when I questioned later, he said he was doing me a favor! :eek: What??? The second Blue launch I started earlier today went into similar situation, another new forum member went in with in an hour of the start of my launch and put in 1K+ points, and surprisingly I found I can kick him out :angelic:, I don't know when GI added this feature (must be in the last several months), it must be for the hijackers (y), and I noticed some previous posts here mentioned using that feature.

I think the bottom line is, in general If you want to have #1's, you need to start your own launch, not hijacking others' launches. I know few posts said they don't care the hijackers, those are the minority of people, and they normally advertise and/or even say that in their signature, which is totally fine as everybody has his/her own choices. Many of the previously posts mentioned that you need to communicate with the launch starter to see if s/he needs help, I totally agree, at least a communication needs to happen first, a PM would trigger an email to make sure s/he receives.

I also understand new players are eager to do launches, many of the old forum members here would remember years ago how we did is to have a launching group of several friend forum members using a PM chat group to do group launches everyday. Each day we set a time to do the agreed launches with pre-arranged and agreed positions, so everybody has a chance to be #1 and everybody also supported others. We also had many QL parties that started with a thread with the QL holders setting up rules first. There are many ways to cooperate on launches and people, new forum members and the old members like us :cool: who still do launches, can still cooperate and launch together. I often invite people to get on the free ride when there are free no-contribution-needed positions still available on my launches, and I often help others on their launches. However, like most of forum members here, I don't believe hijacking, when you steal a #1 position from the launch starter without any communication, that's a hijacking, period. :)

Kesh

700+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bcgunw
Username
Kesh
@Long
There is no guarantee that you will have 1st when you trigger your own launch. You, as we all are, are connected to many players and when your launch is visible people will join. Many players who wanted fast launches will add many points if they see that you add small amount as they don't know your intentions. In fast pace launches you cannot check forum regularly (yes it would be polite to ask every time but in most cases it is not like that). Big majority will respect 576 points added initially as this is showing your intentions for 1st place.

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Morning Aviators (10.35am GMT London)

When you open a launch I would suggest you click from right to left rather than from left to right before you go on to add more resources. Launch threads are not always read (or always created and posted) because of the quick time turnover.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Natholian1

800+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Username
Natholian1
Just got hijacked on a green launch by dvaraza - within 5 minutes of starting and after I'd already put in 576. Three PEBs and I was hijacked. I honestly don't understand why someone would waste three PEBs on a green launch and if you wanted first place so badly why didn't they just start their own launch with their three PEBs.

Anyway, one less friend!

Jon Allen

600+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
TokyoJon2015
Username
TokyoJon2015
I hijacked one of my neighbours, for the first time.
A Russian name I don't think they are on the forum.
There were a total of 3 players in the launch when I joined with less than 3 hours to go and only 900 points in a green launch, they had each put in about 300. I joined and added points to launch and took first place. I hope the launch owner would be happy to get 2nd as it did not look like it was going to launch at all if I had not joined.

Natholian1

800+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Username
Natholian1
I hijacked one of my neighbours, for the first time.
A Russian name I don't think they are on the forum.
There were a total of 3 players in the launch when I joined with less than 3 hours to go and only 900 points in a green launch, they had each put in about 300. I joined and added points to launch and took first place. I hope the launch owner would be happy to get 2nd as it did not look like it was going to launch at all if I had not joined.
That's not hijacking - that's rescuing and entirely different!

Just got hijacked on a green launch by dvaraza - within 5 minutes of starting and after I'd already put in 576. Three PEBs and I was hijacked. I honestly don't understand why someone would waste three PEBs on a green launch and if you wanted first place so badly why didn't they just start their own launch with their three PEBs.

Anyway, one less friend!

Most of us do not understand why those Hijackers hijack, it is definitely not a random action, they came to your launch for the sole purpose of screwing you up and hijacking your launch, there have been increasing number of people doing that nowadays (although it is still a very small percentage in the overall players), including some new forum members here. When you questioned them, they would say they did you a favor!! :eek::banghead: I guess they somehow want to get attention and/or try to prove they exist while outside this game they probably has a meaningless life and they are nobody.

To @Jon Allen , there is a fundamental difference between launch hijacker vs. launch saver. Hijacker would take away your launch within the first hour or two of your launch and they came with the sole purpose of hijacking your launch. Launch saver (like what you did) is to really rescue a troubled launch in the last few hours of the launch when the launch shows no progress and would fail, most times the original starter might be new and doesn't know how exactly the launch works. We all love launch savers! (y)

Device
  1. Android
  2. Windows PC
Friend Code
202zde0u
Username
FarStar
I just started hosting launches and all of my friends have been very good about taking turns and following the 576 rule. This is strange because I have over 200 random friends I added just from people adding me, and they have been just as patient as people here so far.
My rule if someone hijacks, contact them here. They may not know. If you have no way to contact them, and you do not know them give them a chance. If they are good about sending gifts and only do it once perhaps they were just taking their turn at first. If they do it over and over, or they never send gifts, time for the old boot!

Top Bottom