Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

English Question !

What is correct ?

• I ran

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I did run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Just walk !

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
PM me :)
Username
dafsade
Hi Everybody,

I have a question :

At school, we had to learn all (maybe not all, but, at least, a lot) irregular verbs !
I saw on the forum (I don't remember who !) someone who used this way :
Instead of use an irregular verb like "I ran", he/she used this way "I did run".

Is it correct ? Does it always work ?
Because It would be very useful when you don't remember those irregular verbs ! !

It is a question for English native speakers, but if others can answer, it would be great too !

Thanks a lot ! !

Hi Everybody,

I have a question :

At school, we had to learn all (maybe not all, but, at least, a lot) irregular verbs !
I saw on the forum (I don't remember who !) someone who used this way :
Instead of use an irregular verb like "I ran", he/she used this way "I did run".

Is it correct ? Does it always work ?
Because It would be very useful when you don't remember those irregular verbs ! !

It is a question for English native speakers, but if others can answer, it would be great too !

Thanks a lot ! !
Its an irregular verb but one of the easier ones.

run - present
ran - past
Run - past participle

I did run is understandable but grammatically incorrect.

Arggers

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
272ehvl7
Username
Arggers
"I did run" could only work if it was to add some kind of emphasis, or condition.

eg.
"I missed my bus. I did run, and the bus driver did see me, but he still drove off"
"I did run every Saturday, before I broke my ankle"

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
Username
dafsade
"I did run" could only work if it was to add some kind of emphasis, or condition.

eg.
"I missed my bus. I did run, and the bus driver did see me, but he still drove off"
"I did run every Saturday, before I broke my ankle"

Ah ! So, we can't use this way each time... It would have been too easy ah ah !
Thanks for replying :D !

An other question :
If I forget an irregular verb. What is the best :
- make a mistake : "I run" instead of "I ran" ?
- use this way : "I did run" instead of "I ran" ?

Good grief, English is my native tongue and my grammar is reasonable but my head is hurting. Having briefly studied a few languages and Chinese for 7 yrs, I’m the first to admit that English is a bloody horrible language to learn and, as ecstatic as I am that it has become the international language in many fields, I sympathise with anyone who has to learn it as a second language. Words that sound the same but spelt differently, words that are spelled the same but sound different. And now Gen Z have got their hands on it :confused:. “Y R U a h8er, Bob?”

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
Username
dafsade
Good grief, English is my native tongue and my grammar is reasonable but my head is hurting. Having briefly studied a few languages and Chinese for 7 yrs, I’m the first to admit that English is a bloody horrible language to learn and, as ecstatic as I am that it has become the international language in many fields, I sympathise with anyone who has to learn it as a second language. Words that sound the same but spelt differently, words that are spelled the same but sound different. And now Gen Z have got their hands on it :confused:. “Y R U a h8er, Bob?”

ah ah ! ! I am sorry for hurting your head !
By the way, it must be very comfortable to be English native speaker because of the fact that it is an international language !

Yes ! ! the first example I have is this one : Cool and Blood/Flood should sound the same !

Wooow ! We would think it is a crypted sentence !

ah ah ! ! I am sorry for hurting your head !
By the way, it must be very comfortable to be English native speaker because of the fact that it is an international language !

Yes ! ! the first example I have is this one : Cool and Blood/Flood should sound the same !

Wooow ! We would think it is a crypted sentence !
As much as I frown that the Americans have bastardised the language to suit themselves, it is about time that the international version of language is simplified into basic phonetics. The above words could then be cewl, blud/flud (but that’s my accent, others might have their own sounds ;) ). People can moan all they like about change, but it is inevitable. Most native English speaking people can’t understand 3/4 of the language that Shakespeare wrote!

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
Username
dafsade
As much as I frown that the Americans have bastardised the language to suit themselves, it is about time that the international version of language is simplified into basic phonetics. The above words could then be cewl, blud/flud (but that’s my accent, others might have their own sounds ;) ). People can moan all they like about change, but it is inevitable. Most native English speaking people can’t understand 3/4 of the language that Shakespeare wrote!

ah really ? you pronounce "blud" ? ?

I understand well ! it is the same in French, 3/4 can't understand Rousseau, and I would say 85% can't understand Molière ! !

really ? grammatically incorrect ?
YES! Look up the use of the auxilliary 'do' if you want an english lesson, but seriously its understandable; Good enough for here!!

There is its called Globish!!

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
@Dafsade - do not worry too much, it is a complicated language at the best of times, even I have to stop, at times, and think before committing my thoughts into the written form. It takes a great deal of practice, across many years, to master the language. Have never managed this in all my years.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

English is my fourth language. :)

Dafsade

350+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
Username
dafsade
@Dafsade - do not worry too much, it is a complicated language at the best of times, even I have to stop, at times, and think before committing my thoughts into the written form. It takes a great deal of practice, across many years, to master the language. Have never managed this in all my years.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

ah ah ! I don't want to be a master of English :D ! but, if added "did" instead of the irregular verb, would have been easier ! !

ah really ? you pronounce "blud" ? ?

I understand well ! it is the same in French, 3/4 can't understand Rousseau, and I would say 85% can't understand Molière ! !
85% des francophones ou bien 85% de tout le monde ? La langue de Molière n’est pas plus compliqué que la langue de Shakespeare, ce sont les nuances qui sont souvent difficiles à cerner ;)

Err, let me translate :

85% of french-speaking people or 85% of all people ? Language of Molière isn’t harder to understand than The language of Shakespeare but it’s the small details which is often harder to get ;)

Good thing i’m 100% bilingual and french is my first language

Top Bottom