Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Computer talk of years gone by....

This is why you ask an apple person about apple products. I picked DOS when I was young an never looked back.
I picked DOS from about aged 14 and loved it on my old 8088 machine. Then along came Win 3.1, how exciting! Then 30 years of Microsoft bugs, viruses and blue screens of death all the while poo pooing Apple. I should have known better- Beta was always better than VHS, Intellivision was always better than Atari (and the list superior products being dismissed by the masses goes on) etc.

5 years ago, I was sick of my family corrupting my PC with crap so I went out and bought them a Mac. 6 months later my PC blew a power supply, or was it a cpu, or was it a motherboard this time? Maybe all three? Either way, my $3000 super gaming machine was shoved in the corner, waiting to be repaired as I temporarily used the Mac. A few weeks, I thought, and I'll do some upgrades with the repairs. It had to be soon because I had no idea how to use the Mac. 5 years later? Still on the same Mac. PC still in the corner. No 4 diff versions of windows, no blue screens, no viruses, very few bugs and although no lessons, a simple to use system. It works and works well, every time.

You can have the PC and deliberate which product, chrome or Firefox, should you download first. Because we all know that Explorer is the browser you use to download a better browser. :ROFLMAO::hilarious:

Jega001

150+ Star Club
Device
  1. Android
Friend Code
042fq3o0
Username
Jega001
You can have the PC and deliberate which product, chrome or Firefox, should you download first. Because we all know that Explorer is the browser you use to download a better browser. :ROFLMAO::hilarious:

Boy is that the truth.

I still have a WORKING IBM XT sitting in the closet. 10mb hard drive baby! Plugged it all in 2 years ago and it still works just fine.

I mostly use Windows because everyone else does, and it keeps me familiar with everything. Whenever I hear about a major Windows problem that just means i'll be booting to my Tails USB stick for a bit.

Boy is that the truth.

I still have a WORKING IBM XT sitting in the closet. 10mb hard drive baby! Plugged it all in 2 years ago and it still works just fine.

I mostly use Windows because everyone else does, and it keeps me familiar with everything. Whenever I hear about a major Windows problem that just means i'll be booting to my Tails USB stick for a bit.
Wow! I remember as a kid when the 10mb HD came out. Sooo much data!! No more flipping the 5.25" floppy over and punching holes in them to turn them into 2S2D discs (360 to 720kb if I remember correctly?) Just think, you probably have a single photo on your phone now that would take hours to back up onto that drive and it might not even fit! :D I wonder how it would look when sent to your dot matrix printer:woot:;).

Kesh

700+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bcgunw
Username
Kesh
Wow! I remember as a kid when the 10mb HD came out. Sooo much data!! No more flipping the 5.25" floppy over and punching holes in them to turn them into 2S2D discs (360 to 720kb if I remember correctly?) Just think, you probably have a single photo on your phone now that would take hours to back up onto that drive and it might not even fit! :D I wonder how it would look when sent to your dot matrix printer:woot:;).
5VpskBrnDJQl4s9g_z9uwVJdq1d2mHKxLsEJY2UuDkw=s658-no

Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Phyllo Game Over
hey does any one remember the commodore 64 or the vic 20

Sure, C64 was my first own computer but I had learned coding on a Commodore 8050. ;)
I spent days typing in hex codes to get some "cool" games running back then. One of the best games I recall from the C64 was Elite where you had to fly through space to collect stuff to trade between planets, you could even gather cosmic dust and sell it elsewhere...

Last edited:
Yep, had a commodore 64. Even before that I used a commodore Pet..... Just wikied that, hummmmmmm, released in 1977
RAM was 4k!
Sure, C64 was my first own computer but I had learned coding on a Commodore 8050. ;)
I spent days typing in hex codes to get some "cool" games running back then. One of the best games I recall from the C64 was Elite where you had to fly through space to collect stuff to trade between planets, you could even gather cosmic dust and sell it elsewhere...
those were the good days, LOL we're old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Phyllo Game Over
And on this Mac LC 475 beast, I probably broke the world record Sim City 2000... :cool:
View attachment 7572

Those were nice times. :) I played it on OS/2, does anybody even recall what that was?

Regarding the current situation with G$ and AC: Maybe we should get Sid Meier to create some kind of Sim City Airborne 2020 or such to which we could all switch. ;)

@Bob69bob You must've been doing something wrong because I haven't had a problem with Windows for the last 20 years : )
When I used it, it was good. When my kids got to it and downloaded junk, it all went bad o_O. They've still managed to slow the Mac to a crawl, but it's tougher to corrupt it. When I blew up my gaming machine with 3 screens a few years back, I switched to my tAblet as an interim measure and never went back.

Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Phyllo Game Over
When I used it, it was good. When my kids got to it and downloaded junk, it all went bad o_O. They've still managed to slow the Mac to a crawl, but it's tougher to corrupt it. When I blew up my gaming machine with 3 screens a few years back, I switched to my tAblet as an interim measure and never went back.

As we say in German "Nichts hält länger als ein Provisorium". "Nothing lasts longer than an interim measure." ;)

Agent_L

350+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows Mobile
Username
Agent L
iPads are pretty decent as far as tablets go (thanks to fast and absurdly expensive flash), but still slow and annoying when compared to an actual PC that boots in 5 seconds and launches AC in another 3. Surface Pro might be something comparable to it, but for that price I could have a decent PC in every place I go, so I have that : )

Ahh some good memories in this thread. Decided to go dig out a few of my relics to share.
Couldn't upload the pics as the files were to large so made a little photo album. :cool:

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/davidparrott2000/library/Old_PCs
Those are old non-working bricks at this point. I don't know why I keep them. :ROFLMAO:
I also have a macintosh model m0001 which was the very first made. It has the
entire team that created it names embossed inside the case. Including Steve Jobs
and Steve Wozniak. It actually works and is REALLY buried in a spare room.
Perhaps I'll dig it out and post some pics up.
Of course these don't hold a candle to the huge IBM servers I worked with or the
rooms full of tape drives. :eek:

Top Bottom