Welcome to Airport City!

AirportCityGame.com is the Number One place to be when it comes to the hit game Airport City!

Real time chat to other players, trade items together, complete space missions, form & arrange alliances and much much more. It's all here at AirportCityGame.com

Cinema Films, DVD Films, DVD Boxsets, DVD TV Series

Ten33go

350+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
PM me for friend code
Username
Ten33go
With regards to the Deadwood TV Series which you recommended a while ago - I've only now been able to look into this. The many reviews I've read are pleasing and I have a good feeling it will be money well spent - £12.00 for the complete box set is equally pleasing. My thanks for the recomendation. I will order this later in the month.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

You won't regret it. It can be very dark, complex, deep, repulsive, funny, sarcastic, sad, mesmerizing and a few other things all rolled into one. Can be difficult to follow if you don't pay attention. Very good acting by all. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, except that it ended too early.

You're welcome for the recommendation, hope you enjoy it and will look forward to hearing your thoughts about it also!

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
@Ten33go - Saturday 5th November 2016 - 09.45am

I've finally managed to find time to watch all 36 episodes of the box set HBO TV series Deadwood, which you recommended to me quite sometime ago.

I'm pleased to say your recommendation was well made. I enjoyed the series, there were no weak episodes, that I could possibly point to. It did not take very long to embrace the series, the first few episodes were sufficent.

The Western genre, as a TV series, has never been an easy subject matter to film well, let alone successfully well, and then have the series become critically-acclaimed and award winning. HBO has such a solid, well deserved reputation with a fine body of work. Without their involvement and the right production team in place, the series would not have been the success it has become.

The look, feel and pace of the series is pleasing on the eyes and the theme tune is pleasing on the ears. It is very clear no production corners were cut during the filming of the series and it does look very authentic.

The series has high production values, great attention to detail, depth of casting, structured scripts and flowid dialogue, the best I've heard in a very long time. This level of high quality writing is difficult to achieve and then maintain, it requires great skill and care. As for the use of colourfull metafors and copious amounts of explicit sex, it is in-keeping with the period, and what I would have expected from the series.

The cast of actors, including the actors in the smaller roles, performed their parts extremely well. It is all to easy to get this so very wrong, when developing a TV series, to focus on the main characters and not enough on the smaller roles. Fortunately, this is not the case with Deadwood.

There are many standout characters in the series, one of which is the Chinese gentleman, Mr Wu, his use of paper drawings and his limited use of the English language to express himself (San Franciso ****-******) is well played and pleasing when on-screen with Al Swearengen, who is another standout character commanding great attention. Other characters of note are Sheriff Bullock, a man of few words and quick to temper, Mrs Garret, a woman of refinement and owner of a hugh gold strike, Dr. Cochran, the town's steadfast physician, and E.B. Farnum, proprietor of The Grand Central Hotel, his allegiance shifts depending on which direction the prevailing winds are blowing.

The themes of the series are of lawlessness, corruption, greed, dealing, double dealing, cross, double cross, violence, death, abuse of position and power in the fledging town of Deadwood. Life there is cheap and death comes easy at the hands of those factions who have plans for the town. The town's folks represent people from all walks of life, fortune hunters, murderers, con-artists, the schemers, the addicted, the suicidal, the world-weary, seekers of redemption and opportunist's exploiting the weak.

The advantage of having watched the TV series, in box set disc format, is it afforded me the opportunity to watch several episodes in one sitting, across a few hours. The episodes were viewed uninterupted, by this I mean, there were no commericals to breakup my viewing pleasure. I find this way far more enjoyable and far more satisfying.

I was also pleased with the box set artwork, the discs artwork and the on-screen menus with episode synopsis (except for the third season). The £12.00 price tag, for this package, is a modest amount of money to pay. When first issued, in October 2011, it would have come with a heavy price tag, which I would not have paid. I much rather prefer to breath a while before ordering, great savings can be made in this way.

As to the question did the series finish too soon? I would argue the case and say yes, it did. I believe the creator of the series intended a fourth season. Why else, would you introduce, late into the third season the characters of Wyatt Earp, his brother Morgan Earp and not make better use of them? Both their roles were very fleeting and I do not believe it was originally intended that way. Why also introduce the travelling troup of actors and begin to establish a theatre?

There is also the matter of the showdown between the town's people and those brought in from outside by Mr Hearst, for control of the town and more importantly possession of the gold strike. Why would the creator of the series have set this up, across 36 episodes, and not have followed through with this?

A fourth season and 12 further episodes would have allowed all to have played out to a more logical conclusion to the series. As things currently stand, I'm dissatisfied with the non ending.

My thanks once again for your recommendation.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Kesh

700+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bcgunw
Username
Kesh

I've finally managed to find time to watch all 36 episodes of the box set HBO TV series Deadwood, which you recommended to me quite sometime ago.

I'm pleased to say your recommendation was well made. I enjoyed the series, there were no weak episodes, that I could possibly point to. It did not take very long to embrace the series, the first few episodes were sufficent.

The Western genre, as a TV series, has never been an easy subject matter to film well, let alone successfully well, and then have the series become critically-acclaimed and award winning. HBO has such a solid, well deserved reputation with a fine body of work. Without their involvement and the right production team in place, the series would not have been the success it has become.

The look, feel and pace of the series is pleasing on the eyes and the theme tune is pleasing on the ears. It is very clear no production corners were cut during the filming of the series and it does look very authentic.

The series has high production values, great attention to detail, depth of casting, structured scripts and flowid dialogue, the best I've heard in a very long time. This level of high quality writing is difficult to achieve and then maintain, it requires great skill and care. As for the use of colourfull metafors and copious amounts of explicit sex, it is in-keeping with the period, and what I would have expected from the series.

The cast of actors, including the actors in the smaller roles, performed their parts extremely well. It is all to easy to get this so very wrong, when developing a TV series, to focus on the main characters and not enough on the smaller roles. Fortunately, this is not the case with Deadwood.

There are many standout characters in the series, one of which is the Chinese gentleman, Mr Wu, his use of paper drawings and his limited use of the English language to express himself (San Franciso ****-******) is well played and pleasing when on-screen with Al Swearengen, who is another standout character commanding great attention. Other characters of note are Sheriff Bullock, a man of few words and quick to temper, Mrs Garret, a woman of refinement and owner of a hugh gold strike, Dr. Cochran, the town's steadfast physician, and E.B. Farnum, proprietor of The Grand Central Hotel, his allegiance shifts depending on which direction the prevailing winds are blowing.

The themes of the series are of lawlessness, corruption, greed, dealing, double dealing, cross, double cross, violence, death, abuse of position and power in the fledging town of Deadwood. Life there is cheap and death comes easy at the hands of those factions who have plans for the town. The town's folks represent people from all walks of life, fortune hunters, murderers, con-artists, the schemers, the addicted, the suicidal, the world-weary, seekers of redemption and opportunist's exploiting the weak.

The advantage of having watched the TV series, in box set disc format, is it afforded me the opportunity to watch several episodes in one sitting, across a few hours. The episodes were viewed uninterupted, by this I mean, there were no commericals to breakup my viewing pleasure. I find this way far more enjoyable and far more satisfying.

I was also pleased with the box set artwork, the discs artwork and the on-screen menus with episode synopsis (except for the third season). The £12.00 price tag, for this package, is a modest amount of money to pay. When first issued, in October 2011, it would have come with a heavy price tag, which I would not have paid. I much rather prefer to breath a while before ordering, great savings can be made in this way.

As to the question did the series finish too soon? I would argue the case and say yes, it did. I believe the creator of the series intended a fourth season. Why else, would you introduce, late into the third season the characters of Wyatt Earp, his brother Morgan Earp and not make better use of them? Both their roles were very fleeting and I do not believe it was originally intended that way. Why also introduce the travelling troup of actors and begin to establish a theatre?

There is also the matter of the showdown between the town's people and those brought in from outside by Mr Hearst, for control of the town and more importantly possession of the gold strike. Why would the creator of the series have set this up, across 36 episodes, and not have followed through with this?

A fourth season and 12 further episodes would have allowed all to have played out to a more logical conclusion to the series. As things currently stand, I'm dissatisfied with the non ending.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins
Maybe this quote from wikipedia gives you few unswers :) And maybe there is some future.

"There were initial plans to conclude the series with two TV films, but those plans never came to fruition. In 2015, talks resumed between HBO and Milch, and in January 2016, HBO green-lit a script to be written."

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Maybe this quote from wikipedia gives you few unswers :) And maybe there is some future.

"There were initial plans to conclude the series with two TV films, but those plans never came to fruition. In 2015, talks resumed between HBO and Milch, and in January 2016, HBO green-lit a script to be written."

My thanks for your reply and for the link.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Agent_L

350+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows Mobile
Username
Agent L
Well, it was one of the most expensive TV series ever made, money went into quality sets and writing and it shows.
I liked it for the realism, but never managed to get through it due to realism : )

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Afternoon Flyers (15.15pm GMT London)

I've recently finished watching the HBO box set's The Pacific and Band of Brothers. This is the third time I've revisited these two TV series. I've seen these two for sale, priced at around £20.00 both come in one box set, it's a good deal at a really great price. This I would very much recommend to you.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Ten33go

350+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
PM me for friend code
Username
Ten33go

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Hey Captain!

I've been meaning to answer this post for a while now, and since you're back, I figured now is a good a time as any. :)

Very glad you enjoyed the series. I had a feeling you would. It was definitely one of the best. And may I say, your review of it was very thorough. Maybe you should consider being a movie critic? :D

Good Afternoon Flyers (15.15pm GMT London)

I've recently finished watching the HBO box set's The Pacific and Band of Brothers. This is the third time I've revisited these two TV series. I've seen these two for sale, priced at around £20.00 both come in one box set, it's a good deal at a really great price. This I would very much recommend to you.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Those are both very good indeed. Though many like BoB more I think that may be more because it
had been a staple for a while. I do think both are quite good and definitely worth a watch even if you
are not so inclined to usually watch the military genre. :cool:

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
As you are still on Deadwood topic, does anyone remember Lovejoy (first time I saw Ian McShane).

If I remember correctly it was a TV series broadcast on the BBC from the mid 1980's through to the mid 1990's - Ian McShane played the part of an antiques dealer - a bit of a rogue! - @Ten33go

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Morning Flyers (11.25am GMT London)

My next plan is to revisit the Laurel & Hardy Box Set Collection, which I purchased a good few years ago. This 21-disc box set, first issued in May 2004, contains nearly all of the Hal Roach classics from 1926-1940, each disc has a 3-4 page leaflet with production notes and photographs.

The box set artwork is in silver lettering which complements the black and white drawings of Laurel and Hardy (I've attached an image of the box set) - it is priced at around £35.00

The box set of classic Laurel and Hardy comedy contains the following films:

1. A Chump At Oxford/Related Shorts
2. Classic Shorts/Someone's Ailing
3. Way Out West/Shorts
4. Classic Shorts/Ollie And Matrimony
5. Our Relations/Dual Roles Shorts
6. Classic Shorts/Murder In The Air
7. Blockheads/Themed Shorts
8. Classic Shorts/Blackmail
9. The Bohemian Girl/Related Shorts
10. Classic Shorts/Be Big/Laughing Gravy
11. Saps At Sea/Themed Shorts
12. Classic Shorts/Laurel And Hardy And The Law
13. Sons Of The Desert/Related Shorts
14. Classic Shorts/A Job To Do
15. Pack Up Your Troubles/Related Shorts
16. Classic Shorts/Maritime Adventures
17. Swiss Miss/Animal Shorts
18. Classic Shorts/Married Life
19. Pardon Us/One Prison Short
20. Classic Shorts/More Brushes With The Law
21. Bonus disc: Original version of Brats (1930), extracts from German version of Pardon Us (1931), Thundering Fleas (1926), Fluttering Hearts (1927), Prudence (1927) and the documentary Laurel & Hardy - A Tribute To The Boys (1991)

I would very much recommend this to you if you enjoy classic comedy from two of the worlds greatest double acts of all time, two gentlemen and two very gentle men.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

upload_2016-11-21_11-11-0.png

Last edited:
Good Morning Flyers (11.25am GMT London)

My next plan is to revisit the Laurel & Hardy Box Set Collection, which I purchased a good few years ago. This 21-disc box set, first issued in May 2004, contains nearly all of the Hal Roach classics from 1926-1940, each disc has a 3-4 page leaflet with production notes and photographs.

The box set artwork is in silver lettering which complements the black and white drawings of Laurel and Hardy (I've attached an image of the box set) - it is priced at around £35.00

The box set of classic Laurel and Hardy comedy contains the following films:

1. A Chump At Oxford/Related Shorts
2. Classic Shorts/Someone's Ailing
3. Way Out West/Shorts
4. Classic Shorts/Ollie And Matrimony
5. Our Relations/Dual Roles Shorts
6. Classic Shorts/Murder In The Air
7. Blockheads/Themed Shorts
8. Classic Shorts/Blackmail
9. The Bohemian Girl/Related Shorts
10. Classic Shorts/Be Big/Laughing Gravy
11. Saps At Sea/Themed Shorts
12. Classic Shorts/Laurel And Hardy And The Law
13. Sons Of The Desert/Related Shorts
14. Classic Shorts/A Job To Do
15. Pack Up Your Troubles/Related Shorts
16. Classic Shorts/Maritime Adventures
17. Swiss Miss/Animal Shorts
18. Classic Shorts/Married Life
19. Pardon Us/One Prison Short
20. Classic Shorts/More Brushes With The Law
21. Bonus disc: Original version of Brats (1930), extracts from German version of Pardon Us (1931), Thundering Fleas (1926), Fluttering Hearts (1927), Prudence (1927) and the documentary Laurel & Hardy - A Tribute To The Boys (1991)

I would very much recommend this to you if you enjoy classic comedy from two of the worlds greatest double acts of all time, two gentlemen and two very gentle men.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

View attachment 4660
I have it all ;)

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Evening Aviators (17.35pm GMT London)

I've recently finished watching the Laurel & Hardy Box Set Collection, 21-disc box set containing nearly all of the Hal Roach classics from 1926-1940.

I'm now planning on revisiting the military science fiction television series Farscape. A very unusual and quirky Austrialian production, broadcast between 1999-2003 - 88 episodes across four season's and the follow-up Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
Good Evening Flyers (18.00pm GMT London)

If you have been to the cinema during 2016 or purchased films on DVD disc, or purchased box set's of films or TV series on DVD and you would recommend them, I would be very pleased to read about it.

My tastes in films covers a broad spectrum of genres - westerns, back and white film noir, drama's, war films, sci-fi, epic swords and sandels, comedy, classic cartoons, Jananese animation, slipstick, silent films, suspense thrillers, TV series etc.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Kesh

700+ Star Club
Device
  1. iPhone
Friend Code
03bcgunw
Username
Kesh
Good Evening Aviators (17.35pm GMT London)

I've recently finished watching the Laurel & Hardy Box Set Collection, 21-disc box set containing nearly all of the Hal Roach classics from 1926-1940.

I'm now planning on revisiting the military science fiction television series Farscape. A very unusual and quirky Austrialian production, broadcast between 1999-2003 - 88 episodes across four season's and the follow-up Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins
Regarding Farscape - two of main characters were "moved" later to SG-1 series
As my spare time (after family goes to sleep) is mostly spent on AC and casual browsing I don't watch too many films/series recently. But one series took my attention - Mr. Robot

Captain WH Rollins

150+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Guide Writer
Wiki Editor
Device
  1. Windows PC
Username
Captain WH Rollins
As my spare time (after family goes to sleep) is mostly spent on AC and casual browsing I don't watch too many films/series recently. But one series took my attention - Mr. Robot

My thanks for your post, I will have a look at your Mr Robot.

Regards
Captain WH Rollins

Ten33go

350+ Star Club
VIP Flyer
Device
  1. Windows PC
Friend Code
PM me for friend code
Username
Ten33go

I didn't know that, which two characters?

Top Bottom